May 4, 2004
SCHOOL OF THE ART INSTITUTE STUDENT WINS GOVERNOR'S MEDALLION
IN STATE ARTISTS COMPETITION
SPRINGFIELD - Injung Oh, a student at the School of the
Art Institute of Chicago, was named winner of the Governor's Medallion
of Excellence for her painting, "Recognition," at the
Awards Ceremony for the 2004 Annual Collegiate Artists Competition
at the University Galleries at Illinois State University on Tuesday,
Brenda Holmes, Governor Rod Blagojevich's deputy chief of staff
for education, presented the Governor's award to Ms. Oh, who was
the winner of one of four $1,000 purchase awards in the first-ever
statewide art competition for undergraduate students at Illinois
colleges and universities.
The juried competition was sponsored by Governor Rod R. Blagojevich,
the Illinois Board of Higher Education, and the Illinois higher
Other winners of purchase awards included:
- Dalila Perez of Morton College, winner of the Federation of
Independent Illinois Colleges and Universities Award for her prisma
color painting, "Flora."
- Debra Virgens of McHenry County College, winner of the Illinois
Community College Board Award for her paper, rubber cord, and
linen thread sculpture, "BAS 1&2."
- Ryan Rocha of Richland Community College, winner of the Illinois
Board of Higher Education Prize for his kinetic/electronic media
production, "Crouching Can Hidden Can Opener," which
can be viewed on the IBHE website.
More than 260 undergraduate artists from large and small, two-year
and four-year, public and private colleges and universities entered
works in eight artistic categories. Entrants were entitled to submit
up to three entries. In addition to the purchase award recipients,
winners also were named in various artistic categories and several
finalists also were honored at the Awards Ceremony at Illinois State.
Michael Dunbar, coordinator of the Art-in-Architecture program at
the Capital Development Board and a renowned sculptor, served as
juror for the 2004 Annual Collegiate Artists Competition. The works
of all winners and finalists will be exhibited at ISU's University
Galleries from May 4 through July 3. The works also can be viewed
online at http://www.ibhe.org/art/.
Winners in various artistic categories included:
- Jasmine Blucas, Joliet Junior College, "Asian Still Life,"
- Christopher Bray, Morton College, "To What End," Photographic
emulsion on ceramic tile, Photography
- Roger Darrigrand, College of DuPage, "Bubble Gum,"
- Scott Gamble, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, "Cane
- Devin Gearing, Shawnee Community College, "As Evening Approaches,"
- Susanne Harmon, Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville, "Box
Set II," soda fired stoneware, Ceramic
- Melody Hauf, Principia College, "Studio 1," Ink, Drawing
- David Hyun, Parkland Community College, "Love," Limestone,
- Michael Jansma, Illinois State University, "Implosion,"
Lithographic print, Printmaking
- Elizabeth Marks, Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville,
- Alyce McQueen, Columbia College, "Don and Martha Farley,"
- Ryan Shultz, American Academy of Art, "Dawn's Hands,"
- Annie Siffermann, Illinois State University, "Sprawl of
an Ample Union," Acrylic ink, graphite, Drawing
- Andrea Skeries, Westwood College of Technology, "Toys,"
- Kelly Stachura, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago,
"Visual Art: Rods and Cones" Fabric sculpture, Sculpture
- Cheng-Yung Kuo, South Suburban College, "Mix," Ceramics
Finalists for the competition include:
- Sharon Anderson, McHenry County College, "Changing Personality,"
- Sandra Burns, Southwestern Illinois College, "Heaven,"
- Freddy Bustamante, Robert Morris College, "Killing Time,"
Color pencil, Drawing
- Anthony Cotta, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, Untitled
- Ian Duncan, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, "Red
- Michelle Fernandez, William Harper College, "Live Portrait,"
- John Flickinger, Lincoln Land Community College, "Self
Portrait #1," Acrylic on canvas, Painting
- Steven Foutch Jr., Southern Illinois University-Carbondale,
"Man and Boy," Screen print & woodcut, Printmaking
- Brian Goedde, Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville, "Brain
Scratch and Jupiter Jazz," Mixed media drawing on paper,
- Brandon Heuser, Northern Illinois University, "Night Light,"
Acrylic painting, Painting
- Bethany Huffman, Shawnee Community College, "First Kiss,"
Colored pencil, Drawing
- Neal Meeker, Western Illinois University, Untitled, Acrylic
- Whitney O'Connor, Quincy University, "Collograph2,"
- Nathan Redwood, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago,
"The Traveler," Acrylic on canvas, Painting
- Jane Ryder, Bradley University, "It's Inevitable,"
- Alejandra Salaverria, Black Hawk College, "Stubborn,"
Oil on paper, Painting
- Matt Wedel, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Drawing,
- Alice Wells, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Untitled,
RA-4 Photographic Print
Planning now is underway for the 2005 Annual Collegiate Artists
Competition, which will culminate with an Awards Ceremony and exhibition
at the William & Florence Schmidt Art Center at Southwestern
Illinois College in Belleville.